Delta Free Press RSS Feed

Monday, June 14, 2010

What Would Elvis Do? Question 1

What Would Elvis Do?I recently asked readers to send in their questions so I could answer them without any bias or double speak. Just clear answers to whatever is on your mind. That way when your having troubles forming an opinion you can always ask, "What Would Elvis Do?"



The first questions I received was actually a two-parter. So for my inaugural question I'm doing double duty.

----- begin email

Elvis,

I have received my Ipsos Reid survey regarding the Tsawwassen Area Plan in the mail and I know that I am going to choose 'Option A' because I don't wish to see any destruction of farmland. That was an easy choice to make with the way developers run roughshod over this city's council. When I Imagine Southlands I think of it in much the same way as it is now, with perhaps a little more farming. My question doesn't concern this portion of the survey. In fact, my question isn't a question at all as I have two questions.

My first question is:

Should we allow large residential lots to be subdivided?

and my second question is:

What do you think building heights should be in the town core?


Jennifer
From the Village

--- end email


Jennifer,

These are great questions. Probably better than the Southlands dilemna because it's not so black and white.

Should we allow large residential lots to be subdivided?

In a word, yes. Tsawwassen is surrounded by water, agricultural land, and an international border. If we discount development on agricultural land (something I would do if I were the master of the universe) we need to make room for the controlled growth that Tsawwassen will require over the next 25 years. Retrofitting current neighbourhoods is a great way of bringing in new blood to the community without the devastating effects of mass development. The different developeprs would also bring in different styles of homes which adds to the flavour of the community.

What do you think building heights should be in the town core?

This question is tougher in that it doesn't deal with the development on questionable lands. Limits on building heights, particularly high-rises, effects the aesthetics of the town center. I personally wouldn't like to see a high-rise in the town center but I can understand the desire to have one. Higher densities would be achieved in a very small footprint. Residents would have great pedestrian access to local amenities and the view from higher suites would be second to none. My objection is that a high-rise changes Tsawwassen into an urban center and I would like to preserve the rural aesthetic. On my survey I have chosen to keep the height limits as is but it would be hard for me to oppose changing the limits if it meant preserving the Southlands and the rest of the agricultural land in Delta.

And that is "What Elvis Would Do!"

No comments:

Post a Comment