December 06 - National day of Remembrance and
Action on Violence against Women
DOVE (Delta Opposes Violence Everywhere) is a committee of community agencies working together to end violence in relationships. The Dove Committee came together in 2000 and consists of multiple community agencies including; Deltassist Family & Community Services, Delta Police Victim Services, Stroh Healthcare, Diversecity, Options, Family Justice Services, Delta School District, Delta/Surrey Community Corrections, Boys and Girls Club, Ministry for Children and Families and Delta Mental Health.
This committee works in a coordinated effort to end violence in all relationships by bringing about public awareness, as well as working to minimize potential gaps or duplications of services within Delta.
The Dove Committee is one of action and members of the committee will be visible in the community as December 06 - National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence against Women approaches.
December 01-06 DOVE Committee EVENTS:
• December 01-03 - Committee members will be hosting displays in three secondary schools in Delta in an effort to educate youth on the issues of relationship violence.
• Sunday December 05, in addition to hosting a display in South Delta Baptist Church, the DOVE committee will be receiving recognition and a special presentation from that congregation.
South Delta Baptist Church, Pastor Paul Johnson says, “As a church we recognize there are difficult circumstances faced by people in our community. We endeavor to help in prayerful, practical and meaningful ways. Supporting the work of the DOVE committee is one of many opportunities we have to make a positive impact in our community. We are pleased to make a financial contribution to DOVE from the Thanksgiving offerings that took place in our congregation through the month of October.”
On Monday Dec 6th the National Day of Remembrance, the DOVE committee will be accessible and provide resource information at a display in the Scottsdale Center ( 7100 block 120th St in North Delta) between the hours of 11:00 a.m. to 5: 00 p.m.
DOVE focuses on ending violence in relationships through;
• Awareness and education – the committee educates the community by identifying different forms of violence that exist in all relationships. Dove is proactive in reaching all age and multicultural groups via outreach at various events through out the year.
• Providing referrals, support and resources – using a holistic approach Dove explores preventative options
looking at all aspects of violence from the victim, offender, to family members. Has developed various resources focusing on safety for adults, teens, and elderly.
• Practical Action – Emergency Care Kits; created and provided to those fleeing abuse.
Last year the DOVE Committee initiated the “Emergency Care Kits” for women, men and children leaving an abusive relationship. The nature of an abusive relationship, often require those involved to relocate suddenly without notice for safety reasons. Emergency Care Kits include basic items such as toiletries to get them through a critical time. With the support of the community the DOVE Committee was able to achieve its 2009 goal of creating 150 Emergency Care Kits. There is always a need for these short term necessities, if you wish to donate various supplies please visit the DOVE website at, deltaassist.com/dove.html or contact Jill Colley at email@example.com