Delta Free Press RSS Feed

Saturday, September 18, 2010

By-Election Coming to a Close

Polls close in less than an hour and judging by the numbers I reported, it would seem that the voter turn out in the North is going to be less than stellar. Of course there was still four hours of voting left at the time.

Every hour the various polls report their numbers to city hall and at 5pm Holly Elementary was the most visited polling station having received over 800 ballots. "We're hoping to get over 1000 votes here today," said Sheryl, the PO for Holly Elementary.

The candidates will be heading down to Delta Municipal Hall to await the announcement of who will be the councilor to take over for the late George Hawksworth.

No matter what the outcome, with so many people heading to the polls democracy should be well served tonight. The candidates I spoke to have worked very hard to have their voices heard and they all have one thing in common. A hard working group of people that have supported them throughout this election. On a telephone conversation with potential candidate Sandeep Pandher, I asked him if he was coming down to city hall to await the results and his reply was, "I am going to come down to the Hall I need to be with the people, but I want to stay here at my house with the people that worked so hard on this campaign."

As we wait for the results, one can only hope that the excitement that this by-election has produced can somehow be maintained until next year when we all have to go to the polls again.

11 comments:

  1. Ian Paton has won the By-Election. The turnout was on par with a regular municipal election which is outstanding! The race was not as close as pundits thought.

    I am looking forward to having a Ladner Farmer represent Delta at the Table. It makes good sense and I can hardly wait to see what he has to say.

    Thanks to all candidates for sticking your necks out but the best man won.

    See you all in a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it looks to me like there's going to be some farming happening again on the Southlands, in Tsawwassen.

    Growing houses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So mike Schneider, you seem quite happy to have a "Farmer" represent Delta. Is that because you expect him to protect farmland for farming or because you want to see farmers and anyone else who owns or has options on large tracts of good farmland to be able to sell that farmland for vast sums, so it can be developed for something other than farming?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slater...are you really that ignorant? Really??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why don't you people waste your time on something else.

    How about going back to sending sand to Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Schneider, you should read Debbie McBride's latest piece on food security. It's really good so I'm sure it will make you crazy. Gave me a lot to think about and since you only think about how much money can be made by building on farmland, maybe her article and the one that follows will convince you that farmland is going to be worth way more to farm that to build on. That should appeal to your developer friends. Oh and Ida, who blogged on that other election story, you may be older but you rock. I've been much nicer to mike schnieder than I would have been before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robbie, where did Mike Schneider ever say anything about "how much money can be made by building on farmland"??

    Do you people consciously lie, or is it just your nature??

    Oh, and do a little research on your Ms. McBride. I wouldn't take anything she says as remotely near to the truth. She is a liar. And that is a matter of public record.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey anonymous, where is the "public record" you speak of regarding McBride? Anybody can accuse someone of that and should be able to give me an instance where she may have been accused of it by people like you and it was actually proven, like in a court of law or something like that. Since you made that claim maybe you should be able to back it up and better still why don't you use your name when you make that kind of statement? Why are you so crazy about what she thinks anyway, is she that powerful? Did she break your heart or something? I notice you didn't comment on the guy below her article. Seemed like he provided all the facts you were looking for - or is he a liar too?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gallagher vs. McBride. Look it up. Public record. She lost.

    Defamation, libel and slander.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear anonymous 5:39pm
    I would like to correct you on your deficient facts regarding Gallagher vs. McBride. Firstly it also included TRAVHOL. In fact, I fought the case against me and the case against me was dropped my the litigant. His lawyer left the law firm he was with and I never heard back from either the litigant or his lawyer after our initial court meeting. Nor did I pay any damages or the litigants legal fees. Both of which would have been charged against me if I had been in fact liable - which I most decidedly was not.
    Let me point out to you that anyone can sue anyone in a civil suit in British Columbia Supreme Court. It costs very little to do so. It needs to be proven however and there's the rub. It wasn't because what the suit claimed was true. This case, brought against me by a BC Hydro employee I never met, had spoken to or even knew existed was ridiculous in the extreme and was launched in a manner that tried to silence me and TRAVHOL in our quest to prevent the powerlines from being erected.
    I see that you hide behind your anonymous moniker whch is rather convenient for you but I think it's very amusing that you leave yourself in the very position you accused me of being libel for. I, however, do not hide behind an anonymous lable when I write something.
    Lucky for you I have a sense of humour and see how really silly you are and I won't ask that your post be removed and consult my lawyers as to suing you. You need to be shown in the riduculous and cowardly light that you cast upon yourself.

    ReplyDelete