Delta Free Press RSS Feed

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Delta Free Press 2010 Candidate Challenge

What Would Elvis Do? DELTA BY-ELECTION

Delta Votes 2010 By-electionWell 'silly season' is upon us. That's right! Nomination papers for the council seat made vacant by the unforeseen passing of George Hawksworth can be filed starting today and candidates must have their papers filed by August 13th.

The list of 'would be' councilors continues to grow with six already declaring their intentions and a few 'usual suspects' still lurking on the sidelines.

I have had a number of emails come in inquiring about my opinion on the candidates and asking if I was going to publicly support any single candidate. In all honesty I didn't put too much thought into it. It's true, I have some pretty strong views but I never considered that people would make up their minds based on my opinions.

I was flattered when I was recently voted the "BEST local citizen you would like to see in office" in the 2010 South Delta Leader contest. Let me be clear on something, "I am not running for office!" That being said, I am going to do something I have never done before. It is with great pleasure and anticipation that I introduce:

The Delta Free Press 2010 Candidate Challenge.

On August 16th I will send a questionnaire out to each of of the candidates to fill out and return. Based on interest and schedules, I will invite each candidate to an interview. Then, on August 20th I will publicly declare who I am going to vote for and why.

But it doesn't stop there. The winner of the challenge will get the following:



  • Free advertising on the Delta Free Press for the duration of the by-election. (subject to election rules)
  • $200 personal campaign donation
  • Prime real estate on my front lawn for an election sign (up to 4' by 8')
  • and my vote


I will post the returned questionnaires of all the candidates as I get them and I would encourage feedback from the general public. As a disclaimer I should state that this is not an exercise in democracy and the winner will be chosen solely by myself.

5 comments:

  1. Let me see if I've got this straight - All through this online rag you refer to yourself as non-biased, balanced, fair etc, etc. And here you are advocating for a candidate contest to choose who you will personally endorse. Tell me what other legitimate publications would do such a thing. You obviously think mighty highly of yourself. "BEST local citizen you would like to see in office" - give me a break! You obviously have a lot of friends with computers, huh!? Why don't you just come clean and admit that this is all about self-promotion. Let me suggest to you that the outcome of this so-called candidate challenge has been predetermined.Why else would you be going out of your way to expose the Liberal association of one of the declared candidates - and posting a picture of her with Kevin Falcon and Val Roddick. Who gives a flying fiddle what "Elvis would do"! Elvis would do anything that helps Elvis - enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment Bob. It's nice to see people are excited about the upcoming by-election.

    Newspapers have been endorsing candidates since the creation of the printing press. Here is a list of the legitimate publications that endorsed Prime Minister Harper in the last election (click on the link to read the endorsement):

    The Economist
    Toronto Sun
    Vancouver Sun
    Montreal Gazette
    Ottawa Citizen
    Winnipeg Free Press
    Edmonton Journal
    Kitchener-Waterloo Record
    Ottawa Sun
    Calgary Sun
    Edmonton Sun
    Vancouver Province
    Winnipeg Sun
    Brantford Expositor
    Calgary Herald
    Windsor Star
    Globe and Mail

    As for the picture of Maria Devries with Liberal Health Minister Kevin Falcon and former Liberal MLA Val Roddick, I though it was an excellent picture of a political candidate with some powerful political allies. As a former Liberal MLA hopeful I doubt that Maria Devries would turn her back on the Liberal party she has sacrificed so much for. Perhaps, when I interview her, I will be able to get another picture of her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. curious to see the results. Bernadette Keenan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice try Elvi - but of the many examples you provided, what few actually linked to articles were not 'authoured'. Right - they had no name attached to them! They were all editorials! Additionaly, the vast majority of these papers are owned by CanWestGlobal - give me a break! Paul Godfrey/Postmedia Network, Shaw Communications? What would you expect other than ultra-right wing conservitive support.

    You're going to have to do a lot better than that to convince me that you're the center of the universe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? Center of the universe? Elvis Glazier is clearly not the center of the universe, and I'm sure he's not trying to convince you that he is. This is, however, Elvis' news site, so he can do what he wants and what he thinks is right. - enough said.

    ReplyDelete